The Chief Content Officer (CCO) oversees all content initiatives, both internal and external, across multiple platforms, brands & localizations and formats to drive sales, engagement, retention, leads and positive customer behavior.
This individual is an expert in all things related to content and funnel optimization, brand consistency, segmentation and localization, analytics and meaningful measurement.
The position collaborates with the departments of marketing & sales, customer service, retention and human resources to help define both the brand story and the story as interpreted by the customer.
Ultimately, the job of the CCO is to think like a publisher/journalist, leading the development of content initiatives in all forms to drive new and current business.
• Ensuring all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including web, online advertising, social media, email, video, sales scripts , product positioning. This is to be done for each buyer persona
• Work with all marketing and sales team to develop of a functional content calendar throughout the enterprise verticals and defining the owners in each vertical to particular persona groups.
• Supervising writers, editors, content strategists; be an arbiter of best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style.
• Ensuring consistent global experience and implement appropriate localization/translation strategies.
• Conducting ongoing usability tests to gauge content effectiveness. Gathering data and handle analytics and make recommendations based on those results. Working with owners of particular content to revise and measure particular content and marketing goals.
• Developing standards, systems and best practices for content creation, distribution, maintenance, and content repurposing.
• Establishing work flow for requesting, creating, editing, publishing, and retiring content.
The CCO is measured on the continual improvement of customer acquisition, nurturing and retention through storytelling, as well as the increase in new prospects into the enterprise through the consistent development and deployment of content to each persona group. Success criteria include:
• Positive brand recognition and consistency across chosen published channels.
• An increase in defined customer conversion metrics
• Website and social media traffic growth.
• Social media positive sentiment metrics.
• Increases in key search engine keyword rankings.
Experience and Education Required
• English as a mother tongue , multilingual abilities a major plus.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related communications field. MBA in marketing a plus.
• Proven experience in B2C content marketing
• 10-15 years of experience as a respected leader in multichannel content creation (publishing, journalism, etc.).
• Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics.
• The CCO requires a combination marketing and publishing mindset, with the most important aspect being to think “customer first”. In essence, the CCO is the corporate storyteller that must be empathetic toward the pain points of the customer. Specific skills required include:
o Proven editorial skills. Outstanding command of the English language.
o Training as a print or broadcast journalist and has a “nose” for the story. Training in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience
o The ability to lead and inspire large teams of creative personnel and content creators to achieve company’s stated goals.
o A passion for new technology tools (aka, using the tools you preach about) and usage of those tools within your own blogs and social media outreach. Social DNA a plus!
o Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines within corporate and ongoing campaigns. Ability to work in a 24 hour project cycle-utilizing teams or contractors in other countries.
o Familiarity with principles of marketing (and the ability to adapt or ignore them as dictated by data).
o Comfortable with acting as the company’s spokesman and advocate via media appearances, interviews, sales calls, trade shows, etc.